Our Community Building program seeks to empower poor communities to become self-reliant and sustainable by building up its people, preparing their leaders and residents to eventually care for their own communities and capable of helping others as well.
Why We Do This?
A GK community, with one heart and one mind seeking the common good in the spirit of caring and sharing is the core business of GK. We are about empowering the community, building them up so that in the future they will be able to care for others.
GK grew from its first GK Village in Bagong Silang to 2,000 communities to date, it became apparent that the strength of Gawad Kalinga as well as its major ingredient for success comes from building the community.
The world witnessed the transformation of GK residents to an organized, self governing community, mentored by a team of committed community builders (formerly called community caretakers) who succeeded in witnessing the values of "padugo" (bleeding for the cause) and "bayanihan" (being heroes to one another) to the communities that they served.
Our Community Building Program seeks to empower our partner beneficiaries (the Kapitbahayan) to become GK program implementers in their own communities and later on be GK's partners in growing the movement towards nation building.
How We Do It?
Committed community builders build relationship with the residents in GK communities and organize them for self-governance and self-sufficiency. We conduct regular community values formation and leadership training in GK communities.
Together with our community builders working closely with the GK residents, we build and fortify GK communities with our Community-Empowered 7-point vision in mind.
Each GK village aspires to become a model community that is:
1. A Faith Community where residents are free to practice their religious belief in an atmosphere of mutual respect and reverence.
2. A Peace Zone where neighbors live in harmony with each other and where conflicts are justly settled based on the higher principles of neighborly love and the common good.
3. A Tourist Spot where the sense of beauty and order is regarded as an indispensable part of dignified human dwelling.
4. A Productivity Center where the potential of human and natural resources are utilized to sustain the growth and development of the community.
5. An Environmentally Healthy Community where residents practice the principles of proper utilization and preservation of the environment.
6. An Empowered Community where individuals participate actively part in governing the daily life and activities of their village.
7. A Secured Community where residents are prepared to respond accordingly in the event of a natural or man-made calamity in order to preserve lives and property.
What You Can Do?
You can help us build GK communities by:
1. Being part of the community building (community organizing) team in a GK community.
2. Sponsoring and implementing leadership trainings for leaders of the GK community.
3. Sponsoring and conducting team building activities for leaders and members of the GK Community.
4. Sponsoring and conducting values formation sessions for a GK community.
Interested in volunteering for Community Building? Please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org